Posted On: October 27, 2017
Dementia is defined as a group of symptoms regarding thinking and social functions which interfere with daily functioning. In this condition at least two brain functions are impaired like memory loss and judgement which prevent the person to take care of himself in a proper manner.
Patients of dementia usually present with the following symptoms:
- Forgetfulness – more of recent memory.
- Impaired thinking ability and impaired social skills, which interfere with daily functioning.
- Impaired memory, speaking ability, decreased motivation.
Onset of dementia is gradual and generally progressive. The common types of dementia are:
- Vascular dementia
- Lewy Body dementia
- Frontotemporal dementia
Dementia is usually diagnosed by giving the patient a test for cognitive functions such as Mini Mental State Examination.Generally, there is no cure for Dementia but following steps can be taken to manage it:
- Cholinesterase inhibitor drugs like Donepezil may be effective in mild to moderate disorder.
- Symptomatic treatment of associated problems should be given.
- Exercises related to daily living is important.
- Yoga might help.
Following steps need to be taken to prevent dementia:
- Education of the family.
- Social awareness of the community.
- Effective control of chronic diseases like hypertension.
- Awareness regarding physical exercise.
- Social interaction should be encouraged.
Most Search Keywords
- senior citizen care center in Delhi
- senior citizen care center in India
- care for senior citizens
- senior citizen care delhi
- senior citizen home delhi
- senior care delhi
- senior citizen home
- senior citizen care india
- High quality senior citizen care center in Delhi
- best old age homes in delhi
- old age home delhi
- Dementia treatment hospital in delhi
- Dementia treatment hospital
- Dementia treatment Center in India
- Dementia treatment Center in Delhi
- dementia care centres in delhi
- senior assisted
- old age homes delhi
- nursing homes care
- care of elderly
- assisted nursing